Thursday, March 20, 2014

Big News, Great Opportuinities! Embracing the Unexpected :)

4 months ago I got a call about this job and found myself out here within 10 days. 
I had no idea of the joy and experiences coming my way, nor the amazing opportunities that would be presented.

As many of you know I have always wanted to be a veterinarian and was originally rejected by the first few schools I applied to last year. Well guess where a brand new vet school is starting up in August 2015... Fairbanks, AK! 
Deedee has been nudging me and encouraging me to try again for vet school, not just any school but the one out here. She has offered for me and my dogs to stay here for the summer, work for her again next winter all in hopes that these experiences will enhance my application and help me get in. I had the chance to meet with the program director of the new vet school already, and will be going up for a campus tour in April.  I'm hoping to work at a moose rescue this summer or a vet clinic to continue to gain more experience. I have also started studying for my GRE again to try and boost that score even more.  

All said and done, I never ever thought I would be saying, I'm moving to Alaska! Life is funny sometimes and full of surprises, I am so incredibly blessed and grateful for all of these opportunities out here. Though, I may be a bit nervous, I am a firm believer in things happen for a reason and I am right where I am suppose to be right now.  

Huge thank you to all my wonderful friends and family who have expressed how happy they are for me. The support and encouragement truly makes this so much better.  Love you all!

So here is the plan, I'll be home late April in time to finish coaching the girls high school rugby team for the season.  I will be driving back out to AK in the beginning or end of June (this is job dependent). Chase and Lucy will stay here in AK with Deedee while I go home and return with more stuff. As of now I will be back in Wisconsin for October to coach the girls in the fall. Still looking for more coaching support. 

So excited to start this new adventure! Remember Skype is an amazing thing! :) If you ever want to visit Alaska just let me know :)

Some have asked if there is anything they can do to help. Well here is a list of things I could use some help with:
1) Looking for more coaches for the girls rugby team. I will still be handling all the paperwork, just need some willing volunteers to be at practices and games to coach. Have a few girls that may be am to help out for now. ( late August-October, then some once a week winter training and next march April)

2) Since it is very crucial I get residency in Alaska I need to be careful about how much I work in Wisconsin and how long I am there. So if anyone has sides jobs, cleaning, babysitting, yard work, construction clean up etc please let me know. 

3) I am going to have a yard sale and try to get rid of a lot of my old things to help get enough money for the drive back out here. So college friends anyone looking for furniture and clothes keep a look out for when I post about that ( late may)

4) If anyone has tv shows/ movies that can be share to an external hard-drive please let me know. With the poor internet and power outages I have here it would be nice to have movies to watch for next winter.

5) I want to see as many of you as I can so stay in touch so we can meet up one way or another!

6) and as you have all done throughout this trip I really appreciate all the encouragement, support and love. Thank you :)

Here are some pictures I have been trying to get up of the puppies doing their first few runs! I took out a 6 and 8 dog team last week.  The next few weeks will be busier with all the cleaning and organizing of things coming back from the Iditarod trail.  If anyone wants a poster signed by Deedee she is more than willing to do so just let me know :)


My first 8 dog team! Omnistar and Gengar in lead, Scrabble and Tuli (puppy) in swing, Then the rest are puppies: Dominator and Gladiator, Prissy and Belena in wheel. it was their 2nd time out.

This cutie is Kaltag, Dee rented him for the season. Totally fell in love with this boy so sweet.

More Puppies! Leaders: Peekachoo and Dratini, Swing: Dominator and Gladiator, Wheel: Prissy and Belena


No comments:

Post a Comment