Friday, July 3, 2015

Stockeye Fire

As many of you may have heard by now a wildfire swept through my Alaska home town of Willow June 15th.

I came off the glacier that Sunday and learned about the fire and that it was just 5 Miles north of DeeDee's property. I began checking the news to find out everyone was being evacuated from our neighborhood and the community. I can not even explain the feels that began.

I called Dee to try and learn more. She told me she was at Martin Buser's kennel with all the dogs and that she absolutely loved my friends and didn't know what she would have done without them. I was slightly confused. I learned that 4 of my amazing friends from rugby were driving down from a tournament up north and as they drove by the fire and road blocks immediately turned into my neighborhood and went straight to jaimee and Justin's to try and help. Once they finished at their house they went to DeeDees where they help her load all 52 dogs up and evacuated them.

These ladies are my angles, they grabbed my Lucy girl right away without hesitation and told Dee they would keep her. They even went to Martin's to help set up and unload all the dogs. They went their almost every day for over a week to help care for the 300+ dogs evacuated at his kennel. They have even been back to help start the clean up processes at DeeDees.

I didn't sleep at all Sunday night I watched the news as the fire took everything. I was informed nothing was left of DeeDee's, my friends whose lost their house in December again lost everything they had rebuilt, and other friends in the subdivision. I could even grasp the realization of what was happening. I had to return to work Monday night.

Work was a blur... All I wanted was to be with my willow family. But Wednesday brought a miracle. My friend who is a state trooper went by the property to check on things and out of nowhere I got a picture of Chase's ashes. I was in shock and very confused.  He then sent more pictures asking if the boxes were mine.

The fire destroyed everything on DeeDee's property except the building I lived in that had the majority of my belongings.... The freezers attached to it burnt and scorch marks were found on the build but it never caught on fire....  My friend told me Chase must have been watching over it for me.

Words can not begin to explain the emotional rollercoaster I have been on the past couple of weeks. I am grateful for my belongings that survived and that Mike and Dee have a place to live in still, yet completely heartbroken for the lost of the kennel and their home along with my friends homes. 

I do not know what I would have done without the amazing friends I have made this summer. They have kept me going and made me laugh on a daily basis. I'm still sick but finally getting a bit better. The support they've provided here is immeasurable.

To my lady ruggers, my sister's thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for your incredibly selfless acts of helping to save all those dogs. For sending me loads of pictures of my fur babies that I miss so much. I don't know how I would be getting through this without you.

To the guys who discovered my stuff survived, thank you. Thank you for removing it to a safe place away from possible looters and the possibility of the fire coming back.

For everyone, family, friends, strangers that reached out to offer me support I can not thank you enough!  Your love is humbling and immeasurable. I feel so incredibly blessed.

I am proud to call Willow home and proud of the people in the community who always come together to help everyone.

To the firefighters, police, evacuation helpers, everyone. Thank you for doing what it took to protect and defend Willow. The fire is finally contained and people are beginning to move back to their properties.

I still have not made it back there yet and realize this will all become real and hit even harder once I do in a few weeks. 

I will add a few photos that were all sent to me by friends. 

Please continue to send prayers and live to the people of Willow, and the rest of Alaska as more wildfires burn throughout the state.

A friend was amazing and began a go fund me account for me when it happened, but after finding out my things made it I want to give everyone the chance to cancel their generous donations. Or unless otherwise directed I will split the funds between DeeDee, Jaimee and Justin. They have been beyond amazing to me and both need to rebuild their kennels.

No comments:

Post a Comment