Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Whole New Style of Living


First off, the flight went very smooth both dogs were zonked out for the trip and when I landed were very ready to get out of their kennels.  Here are a few shots of the plane ride over Canada and Alaska.

Somehow I was lucky enough to get an entire row to myself for the flight!! Made sleeping so much more comfortable. 
 These are just pictures of the flight honestly took my breathe away, it was so beautiful!






This is the Anchorage airport.






I was met by my friend at the airport then we crammed Chase and Lucy in the truck and headed up to the kennel to drop them off before grocery shopping. 

Reasonably price food is about a good 40+minute drive from here. So hopefully I stocked up enough to make it 2 weeks before we go back.

My cabin... well my cabin has no running water.  So that means to cook clean or drink I have to haul water from a different building to my cabin. This also means I have no bathroom.  I have an outhouse or I can walk 5 mins to the other apartment where the shower and bathroom are.  I do have heat and internet which works great though!  This is definitely going to be a whole new style of living for me.
This is the view from the back corner of the cabin

From the front door, simple and sweet

So as many people keep asking, "how is it up there?"  Well for my first day of work it was -32F and by the end of the day -28F.  So very cold, my eye lashes make neat icicles I've never seen before.  Today went great learning what needs to be done every day for the dogs. have a lot of names to learn, but I'll get there. 


The time change is interesting my dogs woke me up at 3am for breakfast... they will learn to get use to it I hope. 

If anyone has any good recipes or how to's for cooking with a crock pot, and with moose, fish, bear, lamb, and beef that would be great.... I definitely lack on the cooking side of things...

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything is going well! Coaching has been good the past two days - little kids are as crazy as ever but the older kids are really getting it! They keep asking about you though :( Try to have some fun out there, though, okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it is going well tell them all I say hi and miss them! Hope they continue to learn more from all of you!! It's pretty easy to have fun just playing with all the dogs I finally got all 50 some names down though! in less than a week :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Liz, it's Becky Brumder writing. I'm so glad that you, Lucy and Chace arrived safe and sound in Alaska. Your situation sounds great (despite not having running water in your cabin) and I know you are going to have a great experience with Deedee Jonrowe. I look forward to reading your blog and living vicariously through your experience. If you think of anything you need, please let me know. I'd be happy to send you and the dogs a care package ;)

    ReplyDelete