Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dreams Do Come True!

I was told by many that I should start a blog to keep my friends and family undated on my newest adventure so here I go... I will do my best to keep this updated, if nothing else at least with photos.

First a little about myself...
I am a recent college graduate just looking for work in my field of study, biology, since I was not accepted into the veterinary program this year(7 rejection letters, ugh).  I spend most of my time volunteering or working with children. I coach a high school girls full contact rugby team which took 3rd in state this past season with it being my first season coaching! SO PROUD! I also coach inner city flag rugby for youth 6-13 year old.  Winters I coach downhill ski racing for high school and youth and if I'm lucky I get some racing in as well. Beyond coaching I am a CNA at a nursing home caring for the elderly in their last few stages of life.  Hard work but all very rewarding. I have had plenty of ups and downs in my life, but always kept fighting through.  College took a little longer than planned due to unexpected circumstances, but I'm glad it did because I then got to meet the most amazing rugby family in the world at college when I transferred back.

So anyways I have been applying and interviewing for jobs basically anything that a biology degree would work for.  Last week I received 3 rejection emails within an hour and was pretty bummed out.  I went for a drive to sit by the river and relax, I was up north visiting friends from college, and I received a phone call from a friend who got an amazing job out in Alaska working for Deedee Jonrowe.  I was kind of in shock to hear from him and then even more so when he said someone quit and they are looking for another dog handler. He had Deedee call me and by the next morning she had offered me the job and asked how soon can you get to Alaska.  My friends and family were so incredibly supportive and excited for me I bought a plane ticket that night to move out there in 10 days!

Now this is so exciting to me because in 2nd grade my teacher taught us about the Iditarod.  I fell in love with dog sledding and huskies instantly.  I spent 5 years of my life saving up for my first husky, I got a dog sled for Christmas in 5th grade and over the years of having huskies took 2 of them out to CO to pull for a sled dog tour kennel in Winter Park.  I have dreamed about going to Alaska to see the Iditarod since 2nd grade and wanted to focus my veterinary medicine, if I ever got into school, on sled dogs. I adopted my 24th dog last January a 12 year old husky oh by the way I'm only 24 years old. 

So basically this job opportunity is a once in a life time experience working for the most famous female sled dog racer in the world and she picked me out of all the people who applied to come work for her.  Not only that but she is allowing me to bring 2 of my dogs with for this experience!! This is more than I could have ever dreamed of!

So now after a crazy week of barely being able to eat or sleep with excitement and spending every penny of savings I had I am leaving for Alaska in 3 days!

Beyond blessed that I have such a supportive family who will do anything to help me reach my dreams.  I know this will be hard seeing as we will all be in different time zones from FL to WI to CO to AK! A huge thank you to all my employers who were so thrilled about this opportunity I received they are granting me the leave for 5 months so when I come back in April I'll still have work!  So thankful for the girls rugby team and my friend who helps me coach because they are all supportive and I get to show these girls what it means to chase your dreams!

I have been asked by many how I can just up and move to Alaska like this....
It is oddly simple; I've never made such a clear cut choice in my life. This is a dream of mine, a once in a life time experience.  I have jobs that are willing to let me go, and family that supports me.
For all my friends, I love you all! Each and every one of them have shown so much support and excitement for me its breathtaking feeling so loved and supported by them. Though I'll miss everyone a lot and AK can get lonely I'm sure, I know real friends will always be there for me and still be there when I get back. Taking this job was easy, and even easier knowing that so many people in my life realize how much this means to me and how big of a dream this has been for me. 

So for anyone out there getting door after door slammed in your face I'm sorry I know it is hard, discouraging, frustrating, and dark.  I promise you though: take it day by day never settle for less than what you believe in and keep fighting. 

Dreams do come true you just have to keep believing in them! Always be ready to embrace the unexpected, you never know when your chance will come!!!!

 Here is Amber she is 7 years old and from my 2nd litter of huskies
 Pictured is Penny, my baby girl. She was my first dog I ever got, first dog I hooked up to a sled, and my first love.  Chase is my crazy Samoyed he is now 8 years old. He will be coming with to Alaska with me!
 This is Abby, my first Siberian Husky I spent 5 years from 2nd-7th grade saving up every penny i could to get her once I convinced my parents getting a 3rd dog was not a bad idea.... She like Penny was hit by a car a few years back.  Abby along with getting a dog sled were dreams that came true for me! Abby is also the mother of Amber and Cole.
 Meet Cole, he is my big strong boy at 7 years old he has taking over the top dog role in my family after his mother died and protects and keeps his sister in line.  This is him looking in a mirror for the first time.
These two will be coming to Alaska with me Chase and Lucy.  Lucy was adopted last January and is now 12 years old lost over 10 lbs and can keep up with all the young ones.  She was a blessing, and it was meant to be.  I met the lady that took her in after her owners passed away and we all hit it off, it worked out so well Lucy fits right into this family of mine. 

This is the kennel I will be working at.
Deedeejonrowe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment