Thursday, March 13, 2014

Beauty in the Pain


Deedee and I going through Anchorage March 1st! Photo by:Antonia

Hello,
As many of you many have heard or seen, Deedee did have to scratch from the Iditarod this year about 2 days into the race.  As far as I know she crashed hit her head hurt her knee and lost her team 3 times.  She stated in an interview that she scratch to keep her team safe.  Deedee and all 16 dogs came back Wednesday night, all the dogs are in great condition and healthy.  I am truly proud of her to make such a tough decision and so happy they all came back safe. If you go to Iditarod.com and sign up as an Insider (free) then you can watch some videos of the race.  Check out Jeff Kings GoPro video and you will see how bad part of the trail got.  So far I have heard of a broken hand, broken leg, dislocated knee, torn acl, concussion, multiple broken sleds, on dog with a broken leg.... so all things considered very happy Dee and the dogs made it back in one piece!
I believe Deedee will be doing a short 120 miles race this coming weekend. I will keep you posted.

Deedee and I took out some of the puppies to break them in and they did so well! so much fun to see them all hooked up for the first time!

Having my dad here was so much fun! I'm so thankful he was able to come up and enjoy this experience with me.  I took him out on a sled and we took a drive down Seward Hwy as well.

Things are slow around here now, just getting things cleaned and organized as they come in from the trail.  We also get to take dogs out when ever we'd like to now so I'm hoping to run those puppies a bit more.

Moose count is at 20

Here are some pictures to catch up on: 
My dad running a 4 dog team!
Grizzlies enjoying dinner at the conservation center

Caution falling rocks!  Actually saw some fall right in front on me while driving

Along Seward hwy





Wildlife conservation center off the Seward hwy







This is an example of many trees that died in the earthquake years ago because it sunk into sea water...

This was rough going to see Alyeska Ski Resort and not actually get to ski...

Sunset form Seward hwy

Enjoyed a 30 second bonfire at Jaimee and Justin's after the start of the Iditarod. ( buh-bye Christmas tree)




So sorry these post are coming through so late my internet has been down a lot.  Congratulations though to Martin Buser getting 6th, and Matt Failor coming in 15th!  Still waiting to see how Lisbet Norris and Elliot Anderson (from WI too) finish up.  As of right now Elliot still has 15 dogs which is awesome, go rookies!


I will post more soon! Keep finding your dreams :)

No comments:

Post a Comment