Friday, December 19, 2014

Tragedy Strikes Close to Home

Today was a tough day....
While getting dogs ready for a run DeeDee came out and told Peter and I there was a house fire at our neighbors house and to go now. Our neighbors Jaimee and Justin use to work for DeeDee and Jaimee is training Dee's B team for Iditarod this year.

I got to their house across the street and the shop was completely engulfed in flames and their cabin was close to that as well. There was no way we go save anything from the cabin so we tried for the chicken coop that was starting on fire. Sadly it was too hot and not very safe for someone to try and get through the door. We retreated from the house to the dog lot and just watched the house burn. Such an extreme hopeless, and useless feeling. We moved dogs as far back in the lot as we could as the propane tank started on fire. After this we realized some chickens had gotten out of the burning coop so Jaimee and I ran to the fence and I tore it down and we were able to get 2 of them out. To our surprise 2 more showed up after the fire was put out.

Fire Fighters have a hard time responding to fires as things are far away and hard to find at times. By the time some arrived there was nothing left to save just there to stop it from spreading to the trees.

Words can not describe the how it felt watching it burn wishing I could help my friends. I can't even imagine how they are feeling right now.

We transferred all the dogs over to the kennel here so we have almost 100 dogs here now. I gained 2 more house dogs, some sweet ladies. Along with 2 of the chickens that had some pretty scorched feathers and don't want them getting too cold out side.

All in all grateful for the safety of my friends and all the dogs. I set up a gofundme site to help them in the rebuilding process. Please feel free to share the link. http://www.gofundme.com/j40wdc

Through all the crazy and processing of the day I want to also take a moment to say Happy Birthday to DeeDee. She has been such an amazing encouragement and mentor to me over the last year. I am forever grateful for all she has done for me and taught me.






A Picture is worth a 1000 words






No comments:

Post a Comment